Friday 13 January 2012

Rare Banksia

Just before Christmas MR and I went to check out 93 Banksia Street, Eaglemont. I've long admired this 'pair' of cream brick houses perched high on the hill overlooking Heidelberg and Rosanna and wondered about their occupants. 
(Image from Google Street view)
Recently the house on the right hand side (95 Banksia St) has been extensively renovated, clad and painted. It seems like the owners have an appreciation of the Mid-Century era and the renovation is sympathetic to the original facade although I have no idea what style they have continued with inside.


93 Banksia Street was like a time capsule inside - as the photos clearly show! I have gone a bit nuts with the photos but I just couldn't resist!
The sitting room off the front entry
Sitting Room
Dining area in sitting room


Kitchen originale
First floor Master Bedroom/Study with access to terrace (Northern orientation)
(Reminds me of staying at my Grandmother's house as a child - minus the killer view!)
Original bathroom (one of several)

First floor terrace - and view through to Master Bedroom/Study. The green glass panels obscure joinery behind.
Apparently the original European owners emigrated to Australia by boat in the 50's. En-route, they met another couple who they became firm friends with. After getting  settled in Australia, they bought adjoining blocks of land in Eaglemont and built matching houses. I think they lived the rest of their days as friends and neighbours. 
Wow - if those walls could talk!
(All images courtesy Miles Real Estate)



 

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen that this house is again up for sale, after renovations? And, by the same real estate firm and agent as the last time, not that long ago! I was always fascinated by it as a child, and am planning to go through in one of the inspections.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-eaglemont-117450419

    ReplyDelete
  2. This house was built for my parents by their friend and neighbour. We occupied the house in the mid 1950's, and my parents who were European immigrants remained there for the rest of their lives, over 50 years. There are many memories for four generations of family in that time period. I wish the new owners every happiness there.

    ReplyDelete